Works under limited supervision and selects from written instructions and established procedures to accomplish assigned tasks. Performs preventive maintenance services; inspects, diagnoses and repairs vehicles and equipment. May periodically assist in orienting and training lower level employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency in vehicle and equipment diagnosis and repair
- Working knowledge of fuel, ignition, cooling, mechanical, hydraulic, electrical and air brake systems
- Knowledge of safety procedures and practices necessary while operating or repairing vehicles and equipment
- Skill in operating tools equipment, parts and procedures utilized during the repair and servicing of vehicles and equipment
- Ability to effectively communicate needed repairs or tasks
- Ability to diagnose defects in and repair a variety of equipment and vehicles
- Ability to perform minor and moderately complex mechanical repair on a variety of equipment and vehicles
- Ability to read and comprehend service and technical information
- Ability to utilize fleet maintenance software program
- Ability to complete required paperwork to accurately document repairs, utilization of parts and associated repair times
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or G.E.D. and a minimum of two (2) years of experience in automotive/truck, light or heavy equipment maintenance and repair or completion of accredited vocational technical school program.
Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Vehicle driver's license
- Ability to obtain Commercial Drivers License (CDL)
- Ability to obtain Air Brake Inspector Certification
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Work is performed in an open automotive shop environment. Incumbents are exposed to the elements, the noise of machinery and vehicles, fumes, exhaust emissions, grease, engine oils, solvents, chemicals, dust, electrical hazards, mechanical hazards, vehicle hazards and vibrations. Incumbents stand and walk on level and uneven surfaces, twist, bend, push, pull, crouch, climb stairs, reach, bend and crawl, grasp, drag, lift and carry items weighing 50 pounds or less. Incumbents may work above shoulder level with power and /or hand tools weighing 15 pounds or less and in confined spaces. Incumbents must be able to meet the physical requirements of the positions and have mobility, vision, hearing, sense of smell and dexterity levels appropriate to the duties to be performed.